Tuesday, July 29, 2014

An Oil Painting

When I was in Rehoboth beach, DE, I encountered many art stores and galleries. Most of them are oil paintings, even through I was actively looking for acrylics. One of the oil paintings really strike my fancy. It was a painting of a water town. I was overwhelmed with the subtle detail, color, and composition of the painting. I wouldn't say this painting was extremely detailed, but it included enough detail for the viewers' eye to wonder around. I would call it a colorful painting, but it was mostly through the use of brown, blue, and red. In terms of composition, the deep alley down in the middle gives the viewer a sense of depth, space, and reality. The asymmetrical sides and lighting composed by the building makes this painting more interesting, avoiding the sense dullness that symmetrical paintings would create. I am not sure if I can recreate this with acrylic. It seems to me that the blending techniques were used a lot in this painting, which is easy for oil but difficult for acrylics.



No comments:

Post a Comment