Saturday, June 21, 2014

Wisdom Teeth

I got my bottom wisdom teeth pulled when I was 20 years old. It did not feel good afterwards. Indeed, my face was swollen for almost a week. It was even worse since I was starting a new job the day after the dental surgery. I ended up giving people at work with the first impression of an asymmetrical face. For all of those events, my view towards wisdom teeth is not a good one.

Recently I got the chance to expose myself to additional radiation -- the grandiose panoramic film that covers my entire mouth. Surprisingly, it showed four wisdom teeth in my mouth, including new ones that popped up again at the bottom. Of course I was not thrilled to see that those had grew back. Moreover, wisdom teeth growing back was never anything I have ever heard of. It turns out that when the dental pulp, which sort of works as stem cells for bone growth, is not completely removed, then another set of teeth might grow back! And that was what happened to mine. And strangely, there are small population of people that can grow a second set of adult teeth. Because it is a very small population, do not wait for that to happen when you have dying molars.

No comments:

Post a Comment