Sunday, June 15, 2014

Relatives' Weddings (Part VI)

One year later, it was another relative's wedding. It guess it is about time that people reach their age for marriage: setting down, starting a family, and all that jazz. But really, I find individually in people who do not follow the trend of setting down in their late twenties and early thirties. Then again is the question that my mother always asks me -- "are you going to their wedding?" Without thinking my answer is no, but this time I wanted to end this tireless questioning of whether I will ever attend any social events hosted by any of my relatives.

I told my mother that my reluctance to attend those activities is due to their general vibe of prejudice. I purposefully dramatized their sense of superiority, because I know my high self-respected mother cannot tolerate those things been done to her precious daughter.

"I am so sorry, I haven't realized all of those things that you went through. If I had know, I wouldn't have given you all the invitations."
"That's okay, mom."
"I'll just go by myself and make up some excuses for you. I'll tell them that you cannot attend because you are a lot of things at work."
"Thank you, mom."
"I know they won't be happy about it, but I will just sweeten them up a bit by giving them compliments."

It was then I realized that my recklessness has caused a lot of problems for my mother, the middler person who has to make two sides happy. I cannot imagine all those excuses that my mother made up for me in front of those chatty relatives about how busy I am with work and school. I cannot imagine all  the complaints that my relatives has made once acknowledges my absence. But on the other side, I was not sure if my mother was purposefully saying that to make me feel guilty about all of those things that she does for me. I know that mothers can be passive aggressive, and introducing guilt to me is not something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment