Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Street Performer in Dupont Circle, Washington, D.C.

So I was meeting up with a friend at Dupont Circle in D.C. the other day. It was the south of Dupont Circle Metro statement where the escalator were paralleled with LED and neon colored lights. Right outside of the metro station is a nice African American family with each member playing an instrument: the drum, trombone, and tuba. I don't quite remember if the french horn is in it or not. They were playing bebop, a style that was really popular in the 60s. Along with the fast tempo was this little boy standing in the street and enjoying all the attention. I have to say, he has the music genes within him -- able to play jazz with such ease, swinging the musical notes with ascends and descends.



As an individual who is trying to tackle jazz on the piano after years and years of classical music training, jazz is quite a challenge for me. The inability to express myself and let myself go on the piano is preventing me from conquering the field of jazz. Compare to him, my training still has a long way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment