Friday, June 13, 2014

Maleficent (2014)



I was fortunate enough to go see Maleficent with a whole bunch of friends who are in love with disney princess characters. I walked in the movie theater thinking that this movie was going to be a horror movie just based on whatever that is going on on the top of Angelina Jolie's head. I thought maybe it was going to be something psychological like Black Swan. Overall the movie was pretty good, and I am not going to ruin it for anyone out there.

I had always thought the sexiness of Angelina Jolie is all hyped up because of her marriage with Brad Pitt, her overly large lips, and her flawless makeup (credit goes to her makeup artist). But after I saw this movie, made by disney (which often I associate with kids' shows), I really do associate her with the sex image. There is no nudity, and absolutely no reference to sex, but one thing that people often associate to the sex image -- power. Maleficent is powerful, and can do things that even the king cannot do. She can get whatever she wants, the fact that she was the villain was only due to a brief moment of aggression. At one point there was Angelina Jolie without her omnipresent cape, and what was underneath was -- leather suits, which I also associate with sex image. That made me wonder, had Maleficent always been wearing leather suits under her cape? If so, that just adds more complex character to her.

No comments:

Post a Comment