Thursday, August 14, 2014

Wednesday Wineday

As my lab accumulated more people of my age, we started hanging out together as a group. A good social interaction with fellows in my lab makes working so much more interesting. A few things I have encountered when I joined my new job is a lack of people at my own age. And I admit, conversations with people significant older than me is not as interesting as conversations with people closer to my age. Our interests are different, our focuses in our lives are different, and our attentions are different. With more and more younger people (early twenties) joining the lab, we slowly formed a social group. We talk together, eat together, and leave work together, which reminded me of my high school years when people hung out in groups. I am a bit concerned about how the senior coworkers see us youngsters, but being a part of a group provide lots of emotional support.

It is part of lab culture to bring ice cream to all lab mates on Mondays. We call it Sundae Mondays. We thought it might be more interesting if we also do Wineday Wednesdays after work. We gathered together and invited friends, bought bottles of our favorite wine and cheese. We sat down at a table at any one of our apartments. We talked about anything we can possibly think of. 

Hanging out with people around me age has made me feel more lively, energetic, stress-free. The youth exhibited by my fellow coworkers and friends imposed a sharp contrast from a few month before, where I was hanging out with people 10-20 years older than me.

We sampled some wine, and ranked them 1-10. Our scores were around 5-7, perhaps because none of us are confident enough to call ourselves wine critics.


No comments:

Post a Comment