Sunday, August 24, 2014

Painting Lessons

I took an acrylic painting course offered by the Smithsonian Associates. It was a six week course, offered on Friday from 6-9. I gotta say, I don't do well with night classes. Scrambling after work is tiresome enough lead on the need for a long attention span for three hours was brutal. I am proud of myself for completing the course. We had a very attentive instructor, who teaches us experience instead of theory. Six lessons will not be enough time to teach newly starting students everything they need to know about painting. Instead, our instructor told us some of tricks one can do during painting that we will eventually understand once our experiences in painting accumulate.

I was talking about my painting experiences with some of my friends, whom label his way of teaching quite arrogant, due to his inability to talk theory. Their arguments do sound legitimate. An instructor does have to offer factual knowledge in order to convince students of his expertise. However, within a short period of time (18 hours of teaching) on top of the awkward time of day, students are less likely to obtain much factual information.

Even through I wasn't able to fully understand some of the lessons I have learned from my instructor, but I believe that once I have done more paintings and became frustrated with certain failures, I will appreciate what my instructor has told me.

1 comment: