Saturday, July 11, 2015

My Log Theory - Materialism

There are times when I was heavily involved in getting luxury things in life. Blinded by my insecurities and lack of identities (although I still am to some degree), I only looked at brands. It was a period with no true happiness, a period when my mind is focused on physical things in front of me, also a period that my mind was focused on personal growth the least. Once my finance diminished, I went cold turkey. No more pretty clothing that looks unique and expensive, no more spas and nail treatments, no more bags and shoes with shiny stones. Looking in hindsight, I was glad I went back to normal. While it is true that obtaining things I've always wanted was temporaily satisfying, but in that point in time I was never as happy as I am right now - no money to spend, just wonderful people who understands me.

Even through a lot of people look at materialism as a leeway to show status, but it is more of a false facade of acted happiness. If you are in a state of mind that you look and drool over the nice cars and houses that people have, just know that the owner of those things might be so occupied with obtaining nicer things, that their mind have no time to spend to actually understand themselves and find true fulfillment in life.

Materialism is like a free floating log in an ocean that represents your true identity. If you cling on to it, you won't sink down to the bottom of the ocean. If you cling on to it long enough, you might even forget how to swim, and lose the ability to explore and discover yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment