Thursday, February 19, 2015

Pi pizzeria in Chinatown, Washington, D.C.

Do you like pie, or pi, or Pi? Yes I am trying to make a lame joke. Pi pizzeria is not a traditional pizza place. Yes they do deliveries but it is more like a sit down pizza place. It's not as artisan as places like 2Amys, but not as take-out-ish like Dominos, either. The restaurant inside has a pretty local italian villa vibe, with seating at the two-floor ceiling high atrium with yellow muddy wall paints.

We went for the garlic bread as appetizers, and oh boy do they give us a garlic and a piece of bread. I felt quite deceived when I got this dish, especially that I was extremely hungry at the time. I do not necessarily appreciate doing my work of spreading roasted garlic into the french hard bread. Also, the butter doesn't come with the dish. We asked for butter, made DIY style garlic bread,


We also got the deep cornmeal crust south side classico with mozzerlla cheese, berkshire sausage, mushroom, green pepper, and onion. It was my first time trying the deep crust. Coming from NYC, I had always been a faithful fan of the thin crust NY style pizza, so this was new to me. But this deep crust pizza wasn't bad, indeed, it was quite tasty. Cracker style crust combined with softer layers of dough, cheese, vegetables, and sauce were a nice combination. However, being a NY style pizza snob, I still wouldn't call it pizza. So I'll just call it...dough bread.


No comments:

Post a Comment