Thursday, February 12, 2015

House of Milae in Bethesda, Maryland

Is there a good Korean restaurant in Bethesda? The answer is yes. Is there an authentic Korean restaurant in Bethesda? The answer is also yes. House of Milae is a relatively new restaurant opened in Bethesda and I was thrilled to discover it on Yelp. Sitting within the Woodmont triangle, this restaurant has a low-key entrance just like other hidden gems of this area. I wouldn't say it's got fancy declaration, but I do feel at home with the wooden booths, breezy bar stands, and leather accents inside this small studio space.


For people who are very into tea, I do not recommend Korean restaurants for enjoying tea. This tea, the so called Bori Cha, comes complimentary to every customer and is perfect for the old weather. It is light, it is grainy, it is from barley, not tea leaves. Not to mention, it is caffeine-free. Just wonderful. 


Japchae Bowl: Sweet potato noodles stir-friend with meat and seasoned vegetables over rice. I find this dish quite odd. Japchae is usually served as an appetizer in the Korean food cuisines. I guess this is the Americanized version of the dish-- two servings of carbohydrates. The glass noodle stir-fried with sesame seeds, carrots, scallion, and onions after those vegetables are all prepared through different methods. What you get is chewy and tasty glass noodles trenched in oil. Despite the strange combination, I would say i had a great time enjoying this dish. If I have had those glass noodle by itself, it would be too greasy.


Chicken Calbi Bowl: Grilled marinated chicken over rice


A variety of banchan the restaurant offers. I'm not sure if there is a direct correlation between the number of banchan offered on the house and the sophistication of the restaurant itself, but I'm was very happy with these selection. Kimchi, fermented radish, rice cakes, cucumber and leafy greens marinated in some kind of vinegary sauce made me very satisfied while they try to get my entrees ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment