Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Sudden block of 10 minutes



Sometimes while doing research, I encounter a block of free time before the next procedure. Usually I know myself pretty well to make adequate plans. If I want to be lazy, then I schedule one thing after another so during those block of time, I can just lay around and be lazy. If I am on full energy, then I will schedule two things going on at the same time to practice my multiple-tasking skills.

Today experiments end up taking much longer than I suspected. I ended up with a huge block of time in between incubations for ELISA. I prepared Excel sheets for post-ELISA calculations, organized my bench, cleaned the biological hoods, and still left with 15 minutes! I started to wonder around aimlessly around the lab, pecking over other coworkers bench for interesting things. Eventually, with bordom, I turned back to my work space and turned on the table light. Soon after, I started turning all the table lights available at my bay to increase photon exposure and to establish positive stimulants.

Then I started feeling guilty. Normal pre-medical students spend their free time reading about enticing articles about complicated diseases such as craniosynostosis. I, on the other hand, spends my free time turning on lights at workstations for a new look.

No comments:

Post a Comment