Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Siam House in Cleveland Park, District of Columbia

Siam House is a very famous local thai restaurant in Cleveland park in Washington, DC. I concluded that this humble looking restaurant is famous via an sample conversation below:

Coworker A: Going home?
Coworker B: No, I am meeting up with a friend for dinner.
Coworker A: Where are you guys going?
Coworker B: Cleveland Park, this restaurant called----
Coworker A: That Thai restaurant? Let me know how it is.

This restaurant is located right next to the fire station. Therefore, every now and then we can hear a nice symphony of sirens, which adds more pleasure sitting inside of a dim concrete box. I am not a fan of the size of the restaurant. It is small, and does not have enough space to put personal things (purses, jackets, etc.)

Despite these things, I still consider this place with the best Thai cuisines. My favorite dish is Drunken Noodle, which on the menu has one pepper sign, as oppose to three pepper signs in some of the dishes. I often wipe the place clean with my mouth filled with flavor and pain. So far I still have not tried the dishes with three pepper signs, but I imagine them being on a completely different level.

Some of the sample dishes:



Tom Yum soup with mushrooms. The soup tastes sour, and that is all the comment I have.



Fresh rolls from the appetizers menu. This is cellophone noodles wrapping carrots, avocado, cucumber, eggs, and lettuce dipped in sweet and sour sauce with diced peanuts. This dish is perfect for the summer. The cripsy cucumber goes very well with the mushy avocado, although I believe there might be a better sauce for the fresh rolls. Next time I will try to reproduce a recipe for this dish.



Drunken Noodles! This is my all time favorite dish at this restaurant! I love this dish so much that I forced my friend to switch mine dish with this one that he ordered. When enjoying this dish, you need to be careful of not eating the hot peppers which are carefully hidden inside the flat noodles. One bite will stimulate a lot of neurons on your tongue. The sweet peppers were stir fried under high flame and heat under a few seconds to produce a raw yet cooked taste, and this cannot be done for any home cooked meals.

No comments:

Post a Comment