Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Missing Home

I have not been back to New York for almost half a year. And before I went back to New York recently for an important event, I was indifferent about New York. Being away from home for a long time, some sentimental feelings diminishes. Of course the moment I went to New York, I started sampling around different restaurants like crazy. Below are some of the most delicious foods I have my heart on for a long time and would never forget:


This is the famous Sichuan style cold noodle skins. Why is it called noodle skins? Because it's flat and kind of reminds people of large piece of skin. The noodles is made fresh and cooked to perfection so that it is both bouncy and chewy. It can be made with flat noodles, pepper sauce, hot oil oil, sesame oil, dice of cilantro and scallions. If you want this plate to be more nutritious, you can add spongey tofu (which is what the resturant provide), and vegetables such as bean spouts and cucumbers.


Chinatown in New York, A Food Tour of Flushing, Soup Dumplings
This is another famous dish -- soup dumplings! What's special about this is that when you bit into it, the soup that are injected inside the buns will mix with the flour skin on the buns, making every bit flavorful. My friend's mother made it for us once, it is absolutely delicious! These buns is made best in small bamboo baskets. And you can replace the cabagge at the bottom with lettuce if you like. I have never made it myself since it require the skill of an experienced chef!

Picture above is the famous korean tofu soup. It is usually made in a traditional soup pot. It comes in different flavors ranging from spicy to non-spicy. Aside from tofu, you can add other things like seafood, beef, pork, and mushrooms. My simple version for this is to mix korean spice powder in hot chili oil as soup base, then add silken tofu, mushrooms, pork, etc. when soup is boiled, then crack an egg on top when done. I am not korean, so for authentic or "right" way to make this, ask a korean.

Now that I am back in Maryland, I really miss these food in New York. And when I say that I am missing home, I really meant that I miss the food.

2 comments:

  1. They're not steamed buns! They're soup dumplings aka xiao long baoooo :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the correction, it has been changed. :)

      Sincerely,

      Delete