Thursday, March 5, 2015

Restaurant Week at District Chophouse & Brewery, Washington D.C.

A fancy bar/traditional American restaurant is what this place reminds me of. In a way I find it comparable to Woodmont Grill in Bethesda, in a way District Chophouse isn't as snobby as the ladder. The first impression after I walked into the restaurant was even a bit loud and chaotic, which surprised me since I have heard this restaurant to be a higher scaled restaurant for people that are more established. With people talking in loud voices and trying to over power one another, I find the atmosphere of this place uncomfortable.


The restaurant week menu features a number of the most favored dishes. I went for the BBQ shrimp, New York Strip with Mushrooms, and strawberry glazed cheesecake.


Their complimentary corn bread was quite unusual, since most other restaurants go for oven baked French bread with less sugar and butter. However, the butter does not go well with the already butter-drenched corn bread.


BBQ shrimp, even through it is hard to see from this image, is neatly positioned on a piece of hard French bread. It was delicious. The BBQ shrimp was tender, seasoning was just right, and the sauce was all absorbed by the hard bread, all making this a fantastic dish.


I like my steak rare, so I asked for the New York Strip a bit under cooked. The sautéed caned mushrooms were nothing impressive. And it seems like the chef forgot to season the steak with any salt and pepper. I did not like the steak. Not only with the lack of flavor, I also question the quality of meat itself.


Cheesecake was almost as enjoyable as the BBQ shrimp. The cake was sweet but not too sweet. The strawberry glaze was just extra icing on the cake adding fruity flavors to the well-made original cheesecake.


I would not go back to this restaurant again for their main meal, but the BBQ shrimp and the cheesecake was something that made my experience at District Chophouse better.

No comments:

Post a Comment