Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Reading the fine print

I don't know about you, but I have a tendency to pay the majority of my attention to fine prints on receipt, emails, advertisements, etc. This is more of an adapted habit after a number of commercial traps I feel into. Originally it was a good thing to pay enormous amount of attention to fine print -- so that I do not get tricked again; know the limitations of a seemingly good deal; do not look like a fool when confronted otherwise, etc. However, sometimes reading of the smaller and lesser important font might not always be a good thing.

In a recent email from administrative assistant about weekly meetings going to be held, I opened the email thinking the meeting is going to be held at normal time. The first rough scan of email I immediately started reading the un-emphasized lines, completely ignoring the bolded, underlined, red fonts listing the re-corrected time and place of the meeting. Of course we all want to read what we want to read to constantly prove that we are right, I ignored the "instead of" from the email, and went ahead for the preparation with the original time. Only later after running frantically around the lab did my confused coworkers reassured me that the meeting was, indeed, at a different time. It was a definitely an awkward situation, and again I felt like a fool when confronted that I was wrong. So I just concluded that there is no right things in life. Would that be a little extreme?

No comments:

Post a Comment