Monday, November 16, 2015

Paris Attack 2015, but it's more about me and Paris

Paris attacks! Gasp! Can't believe the terrorists are back again! But this time it is more of a hybrid of September 11th attack and the Boston marathon attack.

With all the negative, grieving news from the radio, TV, newspaper, a sensitive young mind could easily fall into the endless negative feedback loop about the existence and meaning of human kind.

What immediately came to my mind was the refugees, and not the Parisians. Paris was just a tool for ISIS to voice its anger and display its potential to harm. Paris is now all over the news. I wonder if this attack will increase the surge in tourism in Paris soon afterwards. Keeping in mind that the number of Japanese restaurants surged after world war II, I wonder if people are going to be more interested in the Parisian culture, its food, its everything. I wonder if there is going to be #hipsterParisianfashion soon appearing on twitter.

But I do pray for the refugees that are in Europe and in America. The backslash and the prejudice they will receive for things they have no control of is just unseemly. Those people were deprived of basic human rights in their own country, forced to starve in refugee campus, and when they finally discovered a less dangerous place on this planet, we, the "natives" of the land come to hunt them with prejudice.

Immediately afterwards I took a step back at my thoughts and observed it. Why do I have such a large resentment towards the Parisians other than the fact that they are snobby, judgmental, and unwelcoming? Aren't I sometimes snobby, judgmental, and unwelcoming? If I were in their situation, I would be rude towards the tourisms whom in some form constantly ruin the beauty of my own city, too. Or was it that since the majority of the world is already lamenting for the loss that Paris endured, they don't need more attention? Whom am I to judge the equal distribution of lament and attention out of so many people that live in this world?

Hence, it's fair to say: Paris, I don't hate you anymore, I feel bad for you. However, I don't particularly like you, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment