Tuesday, October 27, 2015

A word a day emails

I recently subscribed to Merriam-Webster's word of the day emails. That is, everyday, you receive an email from Merriam Webster with the definition and examples of uses of a new word. I initially wanted to broaden my vocabulary after getting frustrated at the number of words I have never heard of when I read those fancy New Yorker articles. Since I often over use adjectives in my writing, I thought it would be nice to improve my adjectives vocabulary just to confuse people further with my writing.

It has been two days so far, the first email I received gave me the word: victual. It means food, but I have never seen this word being used in articles, nor have I have any idea where and when is the best situation for this word to be used. I didn't think too much about it, but was hoping a word that appears more often in conventional writing would appear, like "impeccable" or "conundrum". The next day I got my world of the day -- slapstick. What comes afterwards was an bittersweet experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment