Tuesday, December 22, 2015

The simple absentmindedness that disturbed my peace for the holidays

With the blessing of the holidays, I decided to volunteer to wrap some gifts for wounded veterans charity. I originally thought my work involve taking a back log of unwrapped gifts and just put wrapping on them. Only later did I realize, startled, that it was a gift wrapping stand and involve interacting with customers. We had to wrap customers' gifts, in exchange for money. Those money, would then go to wounded veterans. The concept was different, and it changed my attitude for my situation. Dealing with customers involves putting on a welcoming face, praising them, and be as agreeable as possible. Wrapping in a small room with back log of unwrapped gifts does not require any of those.

What startled me more was a charity member that we call the leader. She was responsible for assigning tasks to volunteers, take care of monetary transactions, and all that. Like in a shop, she was the manager, and we were the workers. The gift wrapping station was compiled with three long desks, each with a red piece of cloth over it to make it look legit. A small sign on the left of the station that lists out the price of service: small- $4, medium-$6, large-$8, x-large-$10. With these abstract concept of sizes, customer is assumed to know what they are getting into. Right of the station has an stand with photos of wounded veterans and family reunions, giving the observant ones an idea that our service is more than a business transaction. On the desk is a binder, filled with more pictures of veterans. 

For the three uncomfortable hours I stood there, I tolerated my leader's behavior, I see it as a practice of my patience and forgiveness. But no more of this, I have to say, that what I observed, was inconsiderate, embarrassing, and disrespectful.

1. My attitude towards all people whom asked for gift wrapping were that they were customers that are looking for gifts to be wrapped in exchange for monetary compensation. Most customers whom stopped by the desk does not read and only later notice that all of our funds goes to charity. People don't read, even through there are photos and flyers and a binder full of pictures of wounded veterans, they just do not notice. Sometimes volunteers do a bad job, because we are all volunteers, not professional gift wrappers. The leader, or whomever that was having the initial contact with customers, should remind them that all funds goes to charity, and that they should not expect professional service. But there was none of that. Instead, I witnessed a couple of customers that watched closely and nervously at how the gifts were wrapped, and ended up seemingly disappointed at the wrapped gifts, only walking away with an air of disappointment. 

2. My leader has this habit of opening every gift to see what's inside when customers presented their items to be gift wrapped. Not only that, she touches it. Unfolding a dress, or opening up the dust bag to find a bag, then rubs her hand on it, while saying "wow this is beautiful, I wish I had this. (giggles) I am looking at what everyone is getting so I can make my shopping list. (more giggles)" I think it is rude, very, extremely, rude. If I want someone to gift wrap an gift that I wholeheartedly prepared for my loved ones, I would not appreciate it being investigated by someone else. At the same time, I would feel as if I'm being judged for the quality of item I am bring to my loved ones, no matter what the wrapper will say. This feeling of judgement and subconscious intrusion of privacy, is something to be avoided. Privacy is extremely important in every aspects of our life. A violation of privacy in my definition, is the utmost disrespect and inconsideration.

3. There is one time that my leader gave a customer a medium size box and took the extra large box from Macy's from the customer. Only after all gifts were wrapped, does she tell the customer that we switched the boxes, for the customer's convenience. In this case, the problem I'm having is the lack of consent. A normal procedure would be to ask the customer, whom are sitting right behind the desk and waiting, if we can switch out the boxes. The customer, out of courtesy, would most of times say yes. But go ahead and take something that originally belonged to them ahead of time? I just don't think that's right. 

Most of those problems can be solved if my leader is mindful of being respectful and communicative, especially when people are running a charity because we appreciate, value, and respect the life of others-- others that are suffering, and are less fortunate than us. But the behavior of inconsideration and rudeness exemplified by my leader, makes me question the ideology and attitude of a member from charity. The only thing that I learned from this, is that all volunteer opportunities are not the same, not all people are the same. Choosing an opportunity to give back to society involves careful observation of the people you interact with. Bad influences should be avoided, and we all need to be mindful and respectful of everyone around us.

No comments:

Post a Comment